Wednesday, May 02, 2007

What's Hot

Are we heading for a Nouveau Grunge era? Just as the excesses of the ‘80s forced a youth rebellion in flannel shirts and depressive rock music, the embarrassingly effete conceits of latter years may be leading to a counter-culture embracing ‘back-to-basics.’ Is this the Death Knell for the City Swell?


Latest Trends

Bottled mineral water is out! Avoid this “déclassé, plastic-wrapped menace.” Tap water is in.

Goodbye to the Metrosexual; Hello Retrosexual! Throw away the moisturiser, lads. Give away your gym membership, and stop obsessing over the fat grams in your organic pesto. Being a rugged, beer-drinking, wood-chopping, macho man is in. “Take back your manhood,” cries Adam Rapoport, style editor at GQ magazine.

A one-fingered salute to the Health Taliban! Who else is tired of being told that everything we like is unhealthy, and should be banned? Let us eat fat! Chef and author, Anthony Bourdain, predicts “There is sort of a backlash among chefs and diners in major cities against fine dining. The food is more authentic, more rustic — and better.” He threatens that pork bellies, pig's cheeks, and offal will soon be coming to a menu near you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, fashionable at last. With a face like a solar modified handful of bashed mince and ears like bacon rashers I should be the toast of the boulevards.

I look forward to a feed of overdone mutton chops next time I visit your cheerless city...And a beer that was not made by eunuchs in Belgium or some other dump.

Things are looking up.

Anonymous said...

Bourdain is great. Favourite quote:

"Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter-faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn. To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living. Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food."

LK said...

Nope, vegetarians are the bane of most chefs because most of them can't cook a decent vegetarian dish to save themselves. I like Bourdain too but he's just covering his ass there.

Anonymous said...

HI! SAY HELLO TO THE ARMED FORCES TEAM. YOU ARE ARMED FORCES ON THE PUBLIC TEAT GIRL?

Mrs Smith said...

Digger - I am utterly confused. Who is on the public teat? Not me, that's for damned sure. However, I do so love a man in uniform, so to anyone who may be reading who is in the armed forces, I salute you by gaily throwing my knickers in the air.

Anonymous said...

Leo, I believe you proved their point when you said "a decent vegetarian dish".

Barnsley Bill said...

Whilst we are praising vegetarianism I would like to shamelessly promote my own efforts. i have grown something that I like to call Mrs Smiths fufu.
http://barnsleybill.blogspot.com
you are my pineapple muse.
Please keep up the blog, it is better than telly

Anonymous said...

I used to be a chef and now I'm a vegetarian. A tiny minority of chefs actually are true artistes but since most of them smoke they have no sense of taste (in any sense of the word). Bourdain's a stirrer but I like it because it gets people talking about vegetarianism.