Friday, June 08, 2007

Soup

I am not much of a cook, and it is a relief to all that I tend to steer clear of the kitchen. However, there are a few things I can make without setting the house on fire or inducing bouts of gagging. I have a fool-proof tomato soup recipe that is really very delicious, and perfect for wintery sorts of day like today. Quantities are incredibly approximate. I usually make it up as I go along.

Roughly chop:


  • 8 large vine tomatoes (I think I must insist on vine tomatoes – home-grown ones would be even better! The usual sort they sell in the supermarkets are entirely flavourless and horrible)

  • 1 onion

  • 1 red capsicum


Place in a roasting dish, with a little olive oil and some rock salt. Add a few garlic cloves (still in their skins). Sprinkle liberally with dried oreganum and thyme. I add fresh basil too, if I have any at hand. Add some fresh chilli (if you like it spicy).

Roast in a 180 degree oven until everything looks nicely cooked (probably about half an hour ?). Pour in a litre of vegetable stock, and keep in the oven for another ten minutes.

Remove from oven, and let cool. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins, and return to the mix.

Pour it all into a blender, and whiz for just a few seconds, until smooth. Serve heated, and if you make extra, it freezes well.

I am sure any clever foodie types reading this will cringe at my technique, but I don’t care. This soup is low-fat, nutritious, and tastes fantastic, AND takes minimal effort.

3 comments:

unPC lesbian said...

Smith, I'm getting nesting vibes from this post. You're not pregnant are you?? Don't panic if you are cos there's a cure for it these days.

Mrs Smith said...

Certainly not. I just like soup.

Cactus Kate said...

Soup is for the poor.

I have never consumed it and cringe at being charged $20 for a bowl on restaurant menus.